All that I give is given to myself.
1. Today’s idea, completely alien to the ego and the thinking of the world, is crucial to the thought reversal that this course will bring about. 2If you believed this statement, there would be no problem in complete forgiveness, certainty of goal, and sure direction. 3You would understand the means by which salvation comes to you, and would not hesitate to use it now.
2. Let us consider what you do believe, in place of this idea. 2It seems to you that other people are apart from you, and able to behave in ways which have no bearing on your thoughts, nor yours on theirs. 3Therefore, your attitudes have no effect on them, and their appeals for help are not in any way related to your own. 4You further think that they can sin without affecting your perception of yourself, while you can judge their sin, and yet remain apart from condemnation and at peace.
3. When you “forgive” a sin, there is no gain to you directly. 2You give charity to one unworthy, merely to point out that you are better, on a higher plane than he whom you forgive. 3He has not earned your charitable tolerance, which you bestow on one unworthy of the gift, because his sins have lowered him beneath a true equality with you. 4He has no claim on your forgiveness. 5It holds out a gift to him, but hardly to yourself.
4. Thus is forgiveness basically unsound; a charitable whim, benevolent yet undeserved, a gift bestowed at times, at other times withheld. 2Unmerited, withholding it is just, nor is it fair that you should suffer when it is withheld. 3The sin that you forgive is not your own. 4Someone apart from you committed it. 5And if you then are gracious unto him by giving him what he does not deserve, the gift is no more yours than was his sin.
5. If this be true, forgiveness has no grounds on which to rest dependably and sure. 2It is an eccentricity, in which you sometimes choose to give indulgently an undeserved reprieve. 3Yet it remains your right to let the sinner not escape the justified repayment for his sin. 4Think you the Lord of Heaven would allow the world’s salvation to depend on this? 5Would not His care for you be small indeed, if your salvation rested on a whim?
6. You do not understand forgiveness. 2As you see it, it is but a check upon overt attack, without requiring correction in your mind. 3It cannot give you peace as you perceive it. 4It is not a means for your release from what you see in someone other than yourself. 5It has no power to restore your unity with him to your awareness. 6It is not what God intended it to be for you.
7. Not having given Him the gift He asks of you, you cannot recognize His gifts, and think He has not given them to you. 2Yet would He ask you for a gift unless it was for you? 3Could He be satisfied with empty gestures, and evaluate such petty gifts as worthy of His Son? 4Salvation is a better gift than this. 5And true forgiveness, as the means by which it is attained, must heal the mind that gives, for giving is receiving. 6What remains as unreceived has not been given, but what has been given must have been received.
8. Today we try to understand the truth that giver and receiver are the same. 2You will need help to make this meaningful, because it is so alien to the thoughts to which you are accustomed. 3But the Help you need is there. 4Give Him your faith today, and ask Him that He share your practicing in truth today. 5And if you only catch a tiny glimpse of the release that lies in the idea we practice for today, this is a day of glory for the world.
9. Give fifteen minutes twice today to the attempt to understand today’s idea. 2It is the thought by which forgiveness takes its proper place in your priorities. 3It is the thought that will release your mind from every bar to what forgiveness means, and let you realize its worth to you.
10. In silence, close your eyes upon the world that does not understand forgiveness, and seek sanctuary in the quiet place where thoughts are changed and false beliefs laid by. 2Repeat today’s idea, and ask for help in understanding what it really means. 3Be willing to be taught. 4Be glad to hear the Voice of truth and healing speak to you, and you will understand the words He speaks, and recognize He speaks your words to you.
11. As often as you can, remind yourself you have a goal today; an aim which makes this day of special value to yourself and all your brothers. 2Do not let your mind forget this goal for long, but tell yourself:
3All that I give is given to myself. 4The Help I need to learn that this is true is with me now. 5And I will trust in Him.
6Then spend a quiet moment, opening your mind to His correction and His Love. 7And what you hear of Him you will believe, for what He gives will be received by you.