Beyond this world there is a world I want.
1. This is the thought that follows from the one we practiced yesterday. 2You cannot stop with the idea the world is worthless, for unless you see that there is something else to hope for, you will only be depressed. 3Our emphasis is not on giving up the world, but on exchanging it for what is far more satisfying, filled with joy, and capable of offering you peace. 4Think you this world can offer that to you?
2. It might be worth a little time to think once more about the value of this world. 2Perhaps you will concede there is no loss in letting go all thought of value here. 3The world you see is merciless indeed, unstable, cruel, unconcerned with you, quick to avenge and pitiless with hate. 4It gives but to rescind, and takes away all things that you have cherished for a while. 5No lasting love is found, for none is here. 6This is the world of time, where all things end.
3. Is it a loss to find a world instead where losing is impossible; where love endures forever, hate cannot exist and vengeance has no meaning? 2Is it loss to find all things you really want, and know they have no ending and they will remain exactly as you want them throughout time? 3Yet even they will be exchanged at last for what we cannot speak of, for you go from there to where words fail entirely, into a silence where the language is unspoken and yet surely understood.
4. Communication, unambiguous and plain as day, remains unlimited for all eternity. 2And God Himself speaks to His Son, as His Son speaks to Him. 3Their language has no words, for what They say cannot be symbolized. 4Their knowledge is direct and wholly shared and wholly one. 5How far away from this are you who stay bound to this world. 6And yet how near are you, when you exchange it for the world you want.
5. Now is the last step certain; now you stand an instant’s space away from timelessness. 2Here can you but look forward, never back to see again the world you do not want. 3Here is the world that comes to take its place, as you unbind your mind from little things the world sets forth to keep you prisoner. 4Value them not, and they will disappear. 5Esteem them, and they will seem real to you.
6. Such is the choice. 2What loss can be for you in choosing not to value nothingness? 3This world holds nothing that you really want, but what you choose instead you want indeed! 4Let it be given you today. 5It waits but for your choosing it, to take the place of all the things you seek but do not want.
7. Practice your willingness to make this change ten minutes in the morning and at night, and once more in between. 2Begin with this:
3Beyond this world there is a world I want. 4I choose to see that world instead of this, for here is nothing that I really want.
5Then close your eyes upon the world you see, and in the silent darkness watch the lights that are not of this world light one by one, until where one begins another ends loses all meaning as they blend in one.
8. Today the lights of Heaven bend to you, to shine upon your eyelids as you rest beyond the world of darkness. 2Here is light your eyes can not behold. 3And yet your mind can see it plainly, and can understand. 4A day of grace is given you today, and we give thanks. 5This day we realize that what you feared to lose was only loss.
9. Now do we understand there is no loss. 2For we have seen its opposite at last, and we are grateful that the choice is made. 3Remember your decision hourly, and take a moment to confirm your choice by laying by whatever thoughts you have, and dwelling briefly only upon this:
4The world I see holds nothing that I want.
5Beyond this world there is a world I want.