I will step back and let Him lead the way.
1. There is a way of living in the world that is not here, although it seems to be. 2You do not change appearance, though you smile more frequently. 3Your forehead is serene; your eyes are quiet. 4And the ones who walk the world as you do recognize their own. 5Yet those who have not yet perceived the way will recognize you also, and believe that you are like them, as you were before.
2. The world is an illusion. 2Those who choose to come to it are seeking for a place where they can be illusions, and avoid their own reality. 3Yet when they find their own reality is even here, then they step back and let it lead the way. 4What other choice is really theirs to make? 5To let illusions walk ahead of truth is madness. 6But to let illusion sink behind the truth and let the truth stand forth as what it is, is merely sanity.
3. This is the simple choice we make today. 2The mad illusion will remain awhile in evidence, for those to look upon who chose to come, and have not yet rejoiced to find they were mistaken in their choice. 3They cannot learn directly from the truth, because they have denied that it is so. 4And so they need a Teacher Who perceives their madness, but Who still can look beyond illusion to the simple truth in them.
4. If truth demanded they give up the world, it would appear to them as if it asked the sacrifice of something that is real. 2Many have chosen to renounce the world while still believing its reality. 3And they have suffered from a sense of loss, and have not been released accordingly. 4Others have chosen nothing but the world, and they have suffered from a sense of loss still deeper, which they did not understand.
5. Between these paths there is another road that leads away from loss of every kind, for sacrifice and deprivation both are quickly left behind. 2This is the way appointed for you now. 3You walk this path as others walk, nor do you seem to be distinct from them, although you are indeed. 4Thus can you serve them while you serve yourself, and set their footsteps on the way that God has opened up to you, and them through you.
6. Illusion still appears to cling to you, that you may reach them. 2Yet it has stepped back. 3And it is not illusion that they hear you speak of, nor illusion that you bring their eyes to look on and their minds to grasp. 4Nor can the truth, which walks ahead of you, speak to them through illusions, for the road leads past illusion now, while on the way you call to them, that they may follow you.
7. All roads will lead to this one in the end. 2For sacrifice and deprivation are paths that lead nowhere, choices for defeat, and aims that will remain impossible. 3All this steps back as truth comes forth in you, to lead your brothers from the ways of death, and set them on the way to happiness. 4Their suffering is but illusion. 5Yet they need a guide to lead them out of it, for they mistake illusion for the truth.
8. Such is salvation’s call, and nothing more. 2It asks that you accept the truth, and let it go before you, lighting up the path of ransom from illusion. 3It is not a ransom with a price. 4There is no cost, but only gain. 5Illusion can but seem to hold in chains the holy Son of God. 6It is but from illusions he is saved. 7As they step back, he finds himself again.
9. Walk safely now, yet carefully, because this path is new to you. 2And you may find that you are tempted still to walk ahead of truth, and let illusions be your guide. 3Your holy brothers have been given you, to follow in your footsteps as you walk with certainty of purpose to the truth. 4It goes before you now, that they may see something with which they can identify; something they understand to lead the way.
10. Yet at the journey’s ending there will be no gap, no distance between truth and you. 2And all illusions walking in the way you travelled will be gone from you as well, with nothing left to keep the truth apart from God’s completion, holy as Himself. 3Step back in faith and let truth lead the way. 4You know not where you go. 5But One Who knows goes with you. 6Let Him lead you with the rest.
11. When dreams are over, time has closed the door on all the things that pass and miracles are purposeless, the holy Son of God will make no journeys. 2There will be no wish to be illusion rather than the truth. 3And we step forth toward this, as we progress along the way that truth points out to us. 4This is our final journey, which we make for everyone. 5We must not lose our way. 6For as truth goes before us, so it goes before our brothers who will follow us.
12. We walk to God. 2Pause and reflect on this. 3Could any way be holier, or more deserving of your effort, of your love and of your full intent? 4What way could give you more than everything, or offer less and still content the holy Son of God? 5We walk to God. 6The truth that walks before us now is one with Him, and leads us to where He has always been. 7What way but this could be a path that you would choose instead?
13. Your feet are safely set upon the road that leads the world to God. 2Look not to ways that seem to lead you elsewhere. 3Dreams are not a worthy guide for you who are God’s Son. 4Forget not He has placed His Hand in yours, and given you your brothers in His trust that you are worthy of His trust in you. 5He cannot be deceived. 6His trust has made your pathway certain and your goal secure. 7You will not fail your brothers nor your Self.
14. And now He asks but that you think of Him a while each day, that He may speak to you and tell you of His Love, reminding you how great His trust; how limitless His Love. 2In your Name and His Own, which are the same, we practice gladly with this thought today:
3I will step back and let Him lead the way,
For I would walk along the road to Him.