I am not a body. I am free.
1. Freedom must be impossible as long as you perceive a body as yourself. 2The body is a limit. 3Who would seek for freedom in a body looks for it where it can not be found. 4The mind can be made free when it no longer sees itself as in a body, firmly tied to it and sheltered by its presence. 5If this were the truth, the mind were vulnerable indeed!
2. The mind that serves the Holy Spirit is unlimited forever, in all ways, beyond the laws of time and space, unbound by any preconceptions, and with strength and power to do whatever it is asked. 2Attack thoughts cannot enter such a mind, because it has been given to the Source of love, and fear can never enter in a mind that has attached itself to love. 3It rests in God. 4And who can be afraid who lives in Innocence, and only loves?
3. It is essential for your progress in this course that you accept today’s idea, and hold it very dear. 2Be not concerned that to the ego it is quite insane. 3The ego holds the body dear because it dwells in it, and lives united with the home that it has made. 4It is a part of the illusion that has sheltered it from being found illusory itself.
4. Here does it hide, and here it can be seen as what it is. 2Declare your innocence and you are free. 3The body disappears, because you have no need of it except the need the Holy Spirit sees. 4For this, the body will appear as useful form for what the mind must do. 5It thus becomes a vehicle which helps forgiveness be extended to the all-inclusive goal that it must reach, according to God’s plan.
5. Cherish today’s idea, and practice it today and every day. 2Make it a part of every practice period you take. 3There is no thought that will not gain thereby in power to help the world, and none which will not gain in added gifts to you as well. 4We sound the call of freedom round the world with this idea. 5And would you be exempt from the acceptance of the gifts you give?
6. The Holy Spirit is the home of minds that seek for freedom. 2In Him they have found what they have sought. 3The body’s purpose now is unambiguous. 4And it becomes perfect in the ability to serve an undivided goal. 5In conflict-free and unequivocal response to mind with but the thought of freedom as its goal, the body serves, and serves its purpose well. 6Without the power to enslave, it is a worthy servant of the freedom which the mind within the Holy Spirit seeks.
7. Be free today. 2And carry freedom as your gift to those who still believe they are enslaved within a body. 3Be you free, so that the Holy Spirit can make use of your escape from bondage, to set free the many who perceive themselves as bound and helpless and afraid. 4Let love replace their fears through you. 5Accept salvation now, and give your mind to Him Who calls to you to make this gift to Him. 6For He would give you perfect freedom, perfect joy, and hope that finds its full accomplishment in God.
8. You are God’s Son. 2In immortality you live forever. 3Would you not return your mind to this? 4Then practice well the thought the Holy Spirit gives you for today. 5Your brothers stand released with you in it; the world is blessed along with you, God’s Son will weep no more, and Heaven offers thanks for the increase of joy your practice brings even to it. 6And God Himself extends His Love and happiness each time you say:
7I am not a body. 8I am free. 9I hear the Voice that God has given me, and it is only this my mind obeys.