I am not the victim of the world I see.
1. Today’s idea is the introduction to your declaration of release. 2Again, the idea should be applied to both the world you see without and the world you see within. 3In applying the idea, we will use a form of practice which will be used more and more, with changes as indicated. 4Generally speaking, the form includes two aspects, one in which you apply the idea on a more sustained basis, and the other consisting of frequent applications of the idea throughout the day.
2. Two longer periods of practice with the idea for today are needed, one in the morning and one at night. 2Three to five minutes for each of these are recommended. 3During that time, look about you slowly while repeating the idea two or three times. 4Then close your eyes, and apply the same idea to your inner world. 5You will escape from both together, for the inner is the cause of the outer.
3. As you survey your inner world, merely let whatever thoughts cross your mind come into your awareness, each to be considered for a moment, and then replaced by the next. 2Try not to establish any kind of hierarchy among them. 3Watch them come and go as dispassionately as possible. 4Do not dwell on any one in particular, but try to let the stream move on evenly and calmly, without any special investment on your part. 5As you sit and quietly watch your thoughts, repeat today’s idea to yourself as often as you care to, but with no sense of hurry.
4. In addition, repeat the idea for today as often as possible during the day. 2Remind yourself that you are making a declaration of independence in the name of your own freedom. 3And in your freedom lies the freedom of the world.
5. The idea for today is also a particularly useful one to use as a response to any form of temptation that may arise. 2It is a declaration that you will not yield to it, and put yourself in bondage.