God goes with me wherever I go.
1. Today’s idea will eventually overcome completely the sense of loneliness and abandonment all the separated ones experience. 2Depression is an inevitable consequence of separation. 3So are anxiety, worry, a deep sense of helplessness, misery, suffering and intense fear of loss.
2. The separated ones have invented many “cures” for what they believe to be “the ills of the world.” 2But the one thing they do not do is to question the reality of the problem. 3Yet its effects cannot be cured because the problem is not real. 4The idea for today has the power to end all this foolishness forever. 5And foolishness it is, despite the serious and tragic forms it may take.
3. Deep within you is everything that is perfect, ready to radiate through you and out into the world. 2It will cure all sorrow and pain and fear and loss because it will heal the mind that thought these things were real, and suffered out of its allegiance to them.
4. You can never be deprived of your perfect holiness because its Source goes with you wherever you go. 2You can never suffer because the Source of all joy goes with you wherever you go. 3You can never be alone because the Source of all life goes with you wherever you go. 4Nothing can destroy your peace of mind because God goes with you wherever you go.
5. We understand that you do not believe all this. 2How could you, when the truth is hidden deep within, under a heavy cloud of insane thoughts, dense and obscuring, yet representing all you see? 3Today we will make our first real attempt to get past this dark and heavy cloud, and to go through it to the light beyond.
6. There will be only one long practice period today. 2In the morning, as soon as you get up if possible, sit quietly for some three to five minutes, with your eyes closed. 3At the beginning of the practice period, repeat today’s idea very slowly. 4Then make no effort to think of anything. 5Try, instead, to get a sense of turning inward, past all the idle thoughts of the world. 6Try to enter very deeply into your own mind, keeping it clear of any thoughts that might divert your attention.
7. From time to time, you may repeat the idea if you find it helpful. 2But most of all, try to sink down and inward, away from the world and all the foolish thoughts of the world. 3You are trying to reach past all these things. 4You are trying to leave appearances and approach reality.
8. It is quite possible to reach God. 2In fact it is very easy, because it is the most natural thing in the world. 3You might even say it is the only natural thing in the world. 4The way will open, if you believe that it is possible. 5This exercise can bring very startling results even the first time it is attempted, and sooner or later it is always successful. 6We will go into more detail about this kind of practice as we go along. 7But it will never fail completely, and instant success is possible.
9. Throughout the day use today’s idea often, repeating it very slowly, preferably with eyes closed. 2Think of what you are saying; what the words mean. 3Concentrate on the holiness that they imply about you; on the unfailing companionship that is yours; on the complete protection that surrounds you.
10. You can indeed afford to laugh at fear thoughts, remembering that God goes with you wherever you go.