I am the light of the world.
1. Who is the light of the world except God’s Son? 2This, then, is merely a statement of the truth about yourself. 3It is the opposite of a statement of pride, of arrogance, or of self-deception. 4It does not describe the self-concept you have made. 5It does not refer to any of the characteristics with which you have endowed your idols. 6It refers to you as you were created by God. 7It simply states the truth.
2. To the ego, today’s idea is the epitome of self-glorification. 2But the ego does not understand humility, mistaking it for self-debasement. 3Humility consists of accepting your role in salvation and in taking no other. 4It is not humility to insist you cannot be the light of the world if that is the function God assigned to you. 5It is only arrogance that would assert this function cannot be for you, and arrogance is always of the ego.
3. True humility requires that you accept today’s idea because it is God’s Voice which tells you it is true. 2This is a beginning step in accepting your real function on earth. 3It is a giant stride toward taking your rightful place in salvation. 4It is a positive assertion of your right to be saved, and an acknowledgment of the power that is given you to save others.
4. You will want to think about this idea as often as possible today. 2It is the perfect answer to all illusions, and therefore to all temptation. 3It brings all the images you have made about yourself to the truth, and helps you depart in peace, unburdened and certain of your purpose.
5. As many practice periods as possible should be undertaken today, although each one need not exceed a minute or two. 2They should begin with telling yourself:
3I am the light of the world. 4That is my only function.
5That is why I am here.
6Then think about these statements for a short while, preferably with your eyes closed if the situation permits. 7Let a few related thoughts come to you, and repeat the idea to yourself if your mind wanders away from the central thought.
6. Be sure both to begin and end the day with a practice period. 2Thus you will awaken with an acknowledgment of the truth about yourself, reinforce it throughout the day, and turn to sleep as you reaffirm your function and your only purpose here. 3These two practice periods may be longer than the rest, if you find them helpful and want to extend them.
7. Today’s idea goes far beyond the ego’s petty views of what you are and what your purpose is. 2As a bringer of salvation, this is obviously necessary. 3This is the first of a number of giant steps we will take in the next few weeks. 4Try today to begin to build a firm foundation for these advances. 5You are the light of the world. 6God has built His plan for the salvation of His Son on you.